The best places in Malta for your honeymoon
With its pleasant year-round climate and wealth of attractions – Malta is a paradise for newlyweds. Mediterranean majesty is showcased through stunning scenery, rich history and sublime architecture. Whatever your ideal honeymoon is, this enchanting island provides the answer to your love-fuelled prayers.
But with so much variety on offer – where should you head for your passionate escape? Whether it’s sightseeing, sunbathing or savouring fine foods that captures your imagination, there’s a place for you to experience your perfect honeymoon. Join us as we explore this romantic haven.
North: Consisting of dramatic landscapes and incredible views, Malta’s gleaming north presents pure beauty. Blending unspoiled countryside and gorgeous sand beaches with a laid-back ambience, love is certainly in the air across this romantic region.
And with no hustle and bustle to spoil the mood, honeymooners are left to their own devices.
Trendy, flirtatious and upbeat, St Julian’s is where all the action is. Situated on the east coast, this former fishing village has been transformed into Malta’s entertainment capital. There’s always something going on in this vibrant town.
Home to one of the island’s rare sand beaches, you can enjoy a romantic stroll with your nearest and dearest on Balluta Bay for a spot of sun worshipping and snorkelling. When the sun sets, attention turns to Paceville – where the sound of lapping waves and aromatic sea air are swapped for cheeky conversation, blaring music and tantalising smells of street food.
A visit to ‘Twenty-Two’ is a must, an exclusive nightclub set on the (that’s right, you guessed it) 22nd floor of Portomaso Business Tower, Malta’s tallest building. Comfort, style and refreshments are served with unparalleled views of the city.
But before the party begins, start your night with a candle lit meal in Spinola Bay, a pretty promenade lined with gourmet restaurants. For a masterclass in Maltese cuisine, head to ‘1927’ for its speciality dish – pan-fried rabbit and garlic infused potatoes.
Best Hotels for Honeymooners:
- Radisson Blu St. Julians This stunning property has bagged a sublime seafront location. Overlooking the Mediterranean, you’ll be greeted with crystal blue water every morning. There’s a wealth of 5 star facilities to enjoy, including a spa, two outdoor pools, two bars and three restaurants.
- Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay With its tranquil bayside setting, this 5 star delight knows how to make guests feel like royalty. Alongside panoramic sea views, there’s plenty of facilities to try out, with four pools, eight restaurants and a state-of-the-spa among its stand-out features.
- Hugo’s Boutique Hotel Combining smart facilities with attentive service, this charming 4 star property was made for honeymooners. As well as being located in the heart of the town, highlights at this adult only hotel include a gourmet restaurant, elegant rooftop pool and beautifully-appointed rooms.
Top Tip: Whilst savouring fine dining delights in Spinola Bay, we recommend you try the Maltese delicacies of qarnit moquil (fried octopus) and stuffat tal-fenek (rabbit stew).
Serving up history, culture and endless sights – Malta’s capital is an open-air museum. This tiny city packs a lot in, and whilst a honeymoon full of exploration may not be to everyone’s taste, the ‘European Capital of Culture’ for 2018 provides an option for newlyweds in search of something different.
Built in the 16th century, Valletta has retained its old world charm by preserving its medieval and Baroque buildings – boasting UNESCO World Heritage status since 1980. After taking a few steps through its narrow streets, you’ll find yourself falling in love with this awe-inspiring city.
There’s an array of must-see sites all vying for your attention. St. John’s Co-Cathedral, dating back to 1572, is the city’s most visited attraction. Intricately painted ceilings, gold altars and marble floors combine to exude a graceful magnificence.
Meanwhile, Upper Barrakka Gardens offers a break from the city. An elevated spot on St. Peter & Paul Bastion provides superb vistas of the Grand Harbour.
Best Hotels for Honeymooners:
- Hotel Phoenicia Following a total makeover back in 2017, this luxury hotel is now part of the illustrious ‘Leading Hotels of the World’ group. An infinity pool takes pride of place on its rooftop. Sat next to Valetta’s City Gate, the famous sights and delightful restaurants of the city are at your fingertips.
- 66 St Paul’s & Spa Overlooking the Grand Harbour, this boutique hotel flaunts some of the best views of the city. Its tasteful décor combined with first-class facilities makes this a prime spot for couples. A roof terrace with plunge pool and in-room spa treatments provide you with intimate experiences.
- La Falconeria Hotel This former townhouse has been transformed into an eye-catching boutique hotel. A unique urban design is enhanced by stylish facilities and chic rooms. Sat just a couple of minutes’ away from the city’s main square, this is the perfect base for a memorable stay in Valletta.
Top Tip: A trip to the resort town of Sliema is a must during your time in the island capital – and getting there couldn’t be easier.
A ferry service runs every half hour, and for the price of a cup of coffee, you can take a return 20-minute journey made up of crystalline water and traditional skyline views, something that will quench your thirst for holiday romance.
South: Flaunting hidden gems rather than tourist hotspots, the south has stayed true to its traditional roots. Malta may be small in size, but that doesn’t mean its one-dimensional. This side of the island is more about markets, villages and ancient artefacts.
We recommend you put a day aside to take a trip back in time and explore the south.
If your ideal honeymoon is all about recharging your batteries, then Mellieha Bay is the place to be. Nestled on Malta’s north coast, this attractive area presents a more low-key affair. You’ll never grow tired of the glistening sea views from Golden Bay Beach – the island’s longest stretch of sands.
For a change of pace, windsurfing and water skiing are just some of the brilliant watersports on offer. But no honeymoon is complete without a spectacular sunset. And Ghajn Tuffieha is a prime spot with its sought-after vista.
Aptly translated as ‘the Apple’s Eye’, this popular couples retreat specialises in dreamy strolls that’ll indulge all your senses – providing the feel of sun-bleached sands, the sound of lapping waves and the view of a lavish sunset.
Away from the bay, there’s Mellieha’s traditional town. Set a 20-minute walk away, this hillside gem has wonderful panoramas of the Mediterranean waters on tap. Those seeking a thriving hub of activity and buzzing nightlife would avoid this quiet part of the island – that’s what makes up its charm, being so quiet that you can hear a pin drop.
Top Tip: Ghadira Nature Reserve offers something different for you and your loved one. Sat opposite the beach, this bird sanctuary makes for relaxing afternoon strolls.
Best Hotels for Honeymooners:
- Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands As one of the few 5 star properties in the area, this is a popular choice for newlyweds. Standing right on the beach, its location is worthy of a place in any brochure. Stand-out features include four bay-facing pools, an extensive spa, water sports centre and choice of seven restaurants and bars.
- Ramla Bay Resort Nestled on the water’s edge, this prestigious hotel is a haven of relaxation. Long days can be spent unwinding by one of the three pools, each one facing out towards the sea. A recent renovation has seen a glamorous spa and spacious suites added to its long list of top-tier amenities.
- Solana Hotel & Spa This award-winning 4 star hotel is one for the highlight reel. A stylish rooftop terrace with a pool flaunts breathtaking vistas whilst the serene spa has pampering sessions covered. We recommend a visit to Tosca restaurant, the hotel’s à la carte, for a romantic meal.
If you’re looking for a honeymoon destination off-the-beaten track then look no further than Gozo – Malta’s sister island. To quote the adage “good things come in small packages”, this tranquil corner of the Maltese archipelago seems another world away – despite being just a 25-minute ferry crossing from Valletta.
Whilst not as well-known as its famous sibling, that doesn’t mean it lacks character. Made up of marvellous coastlines, divine food and sleepy villages – Gozo is a far cry from modern day stresses. Rather than being forgotten by time, it prefers a simpler way of life.
You get the picture – this place couldn’t be further from the hustle and bustle. So, that means there’s plenty of opportunity for adventures in the great outdoors. The Blue Lagoon, a beautiful beach and snorkelling hotspot, and Ggantija Temples, the world’s oldest standing stones, are just some of the attractions you can tick off your list.
Did you know?
In spite of its tiny population with just 37,000 residents, Gozo is home to 46 churches. Rotunda of St. John is the island’s largest church and features the world’s third largest unsupported dome.
Best Hotels for Honeymooners:
- Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz Surrounded by beautifully-kept gardens, it’s the endless list of 5 star facilities that makes this one of Gozo’s most lucrative properties. Not only home to the island’s best spa – there’s three lagoon-style pools and a trio of gourmet restaurants for you to fall in love with.
- Hotel Ta’ Cenc This 5 star hotel is all about its stellar location on the Ta’Cenc cliffs. But it’s not just inspiring views this unique property has going for it. A private beach, two big pools, a spa and fine dining restaurant complete with outdoor terrace ensure that love is always in the air.
- Hotel San Andrea As first impressions go, this seafront property may be underwhelming – but dig a little deeper and what you have is a big heart. With cosy sea-view rooms, a lovely restaurant and a petite terrace overlooking the bay, you’ll soon find yourself succumbing to this hotel’s charms.
So, if you’re looking for something different for your once-in-a-lifetime holiday – choose Malta, we’re sure you’ll love it!